Interested in becoming more involved with Unified Hiking? Check out our Unified Hiking Advisory Committee!
The goal of the Unified Hiking Advisory Committee (UHAC) is to assure that Special Olympics Arizona utilizes Arizona’s natural beauty and resources to provide opportunities for SOAZ athletes and supporters to continue living healthy, active lifestyles. The Unified Hiking Advisory Committee oversees Special Olympics Unified Hiking program and initiatives. Made up of parks and recreation staff, rangers, educators, overall outdoor enthusiasts, and volunteers, the UHAC helps to create and promote overall outdoor health and wellness activities, programs, and outdoor resources including safety and health information.
The UHAC is made of three focuses that collaborate to fulfill the goals of the SOAZ Unified Hiking Program. The focuses include:
- Aids the Unified Hiking Advisory Committee in Determining SOAZ trail difficulty ratings
- Connects with various Parks and Recreation resources throughout the state to increase awareness of the Unified Hiking Program
- Advises UHAC members on outdoor education including nature, Leave No Trace, accident prevention, sun safety, etc.
- Assists in creating materials to be distributed to athletes regarding outdoor education
- Acts as hiking leaders by organizing community hikes for SOAZ athletes
- Collaborates with SOAZ during hiking kick-off events to provide an exciting presence on scene by tabling with giveaways, outdoor gear and apparel, and information about nearby outdoor sports stores
- Acts as community partners to house incentives for SOAZ athletes in store
- Collaborates with SOAZ staff to plan kick-off hiking events
- Provides demonstration hiking and outdoor equipment for day of events when available
- Acts as hiking leaders by going on trails with SOAZ athletes
Advises the UHAC on personal experiences with hiking and SOAZ health programs
Assists in determining accessibility of various trails throughout the state before officially establishing trails as UHAC approved
Promotes outdoor safety and educates peers on the importance and benefits of staying active
Please note the Athlete Leaders in Health Committee is for SOAZ Athletes only
Email email@example.com for more information and ways to get involved.