Special Olympics Arizona has been partnering with the Arizona Interscholastic Association since 2011 to provide Unified Sports through a competitive interscholastic model. Through AIA Unified Sports, athletes and partners are able to:
- Represent their school community with pride by wearing school name/colors and competing in a legitimate arena alongside their peers
- Participate in regular-season and post-season interscholastic league play against other high school Unified Sports teams
- Qualify for advancement to AIA state-level tournaments to compete for state championship titles
- Be eligible to receive JV and Varsity letters for participation in high school athletics and activities
- Build confidence through success and positive interactions with peers
- Experience being part of a team through engagement in an inclusive environment that promotes camaraderie, competition, sportsmanship, and lifelong friendships
- Achieve excellence and recognition in interscholastic athletics and activities
- Promote academic and social support in the classroom, hallways, and overall school environment and community
- Flag Football
- Track and Field
Student Athlete Recognition
- In addition to earning JV and Varsity letters for participation in high school athletics and activities, Unified athletes and partners across the state are recognized through the AIA Champions Awards at the end of the school year.
- We recognize a Unified Athlete of the Year, a Unified Partner of the Year, and a Unified Coach of the year.
If you are interested in getting your high school involved or finding a school already participating in AIA Unified Sports, please see the links below for more information or reach out to our Unified Sports Manager, Thomas Miranda Thomas@SpecialOlympicsArizona.org
Unified Sports: A Students Guide
Throughout this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions to start a Special Olympics Unified Sports Program at your school. You will also find helpful tips, and inspirational stories to help you along your journey. You will soon see how beneficial this program will be to you and your friends, with and without disabilities. Click here for the Unified Sports Student Guide.